Friday, April 11, 2008

EEG and MRI

On an infrequent basis, I've noticed Mia roll her eyes. I figured she was either imitating me or sort of falling asleep when standing. It is odd enough though that I am alarmed each time she does it. The last time it happened, I mentioned to a friend who suggested I look into the possibility of seizures. Perhaps unrelated, she also has taken up squinting from time to time, another possible sign of a seizure.

Jay and I took her to the doctor, who scheduled an EEG. To ensure she slept during the procedure, we had to keep her up until midnight, wake her up at 5am and keep her awake until the appointment at 11am. (Note: under any circumstances, I believe this is a bad idea.) She screamed her head off when they put the electrodes on her head and passed out quickly once they had everything attached (thank god). The EEG seemed to go fine. On the way home she started doing something really weird with her tongue. It looked more like a seizure than anything we had seen so far, and we were able to get it on video.

When we went to the neurologist to get the results of the EEG, he seemed unconcerned with our video, and we got great news that the EEG came back normal. The doctor's office already scheduled an MRI, so we called to have them cancel it, but they needed to check with the neurologist first. Long story short, apparently the neurologist told them to keep it, mostly as a precaution.

Yesterday we had the MRI appointment, which went went much smoother than the EEG. They had to put her under for the procedure, but she handled the anesthesia very well. She went out quickly and woke up telling everyone, "hello." She got a brand new sippy cup (with straight juice rather than the watered down version I usually give her), balloon and teddy bear out of the whole thing, which made the entire ordeal seem worthwhile to her.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of her brain to include here, but Jay was able to get a glimpse of the images while we were at the hospital. Apart from seeing her brain, he could see her nasal passages and some new teeth coming in.

The doctor called today and said the results looked great, which we are very happy to hear.

So, the next time she rolls her eyes, we can just assume she is communicating her condescension, contempt, boredom, or exasperation with whatever is going on. Like they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

No comments: