Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oh, Little Town of Cartersville, How Bible Belt Thee Lie

On Friday, as I was leaving daycare, the parents of one of Mia's friends were on their way to Bounce-n-Bean and invited us to go with them.  After a lot of jumping, climbing and sliding, we went to Chik-fil-a for dinner.

As we sat down to eat, our dinner partners launched into prayer (not that there is anything wrong with that), but its always kind of awkward not knowing what I should be doing in the meantime.  Later, the dad asked us if we were "church-going folk."  We answered no, but this lead to another round of religion-based questions.  I don't remember what we were asked specifically, but I know that my responses included something along the lines that I was a non-practicing Catholic and clarification that we weren't in the market for a church.  It was a little weird.  I think the questions ended with, "but, you are believers, right?" Jay just said "sure" so things wouldn't be awkward.   We now have our key messages down so we can better answer these types of questions the next time around.  And if we continue to talk to people in Cartersville, there will certainly be a next time.

The best part was when the conversation moved onto politics.  I guess trying to find some common ground, the dad blurts out, "so, did you vote for Obama?"  After saying yes, he said he did too, but outed his wife for voting for McCain.  

All of this leads me to one question...aren't the topics of religion, politics or money supposed to be off-limits in casual social conversations with people you don't really know?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Miss you guys and am so glad to have you posting again.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. There are those that say Sippy Cups are not for Chardonnay- I say politics is not for the playground. Or bouncing ground in this instance...

Anonymous said...

I completely understand how you feel with the religious talk as I often find myself in the same situation where I work. When I feel it is being pushed on me I often end up saying too much. Sometimes I think politics should be more openly talked about, respectfully of course, as it has such a huge impact on all our lives. The main problem comes in when ones religious views impact and control their political ones. Money is definitely more private then the previous two.

: )

Anonymous said...

This is a hot button for me and when the church stuff comes up, I find it hard not to get defensive and assume the person is trying to convert me into their narrow frame of mind. Good for you for staying calm. I'd love for you to email me the standard responses you and Jay came up with so I can copy them into my brain and keep from saying something snarky back. I at least get a break from all this by living up here.

Anonymous said...

oh dear! that's why i only take sawyer to the flying biscuit in midtown. people only ask what kind of shoes are those? less personal, and much more fun;)