Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome, President Obama

Given the importance of yesterday's presidential inauguration, I feel I need to write something about it, although I'm not sure I could do the topic justice.  So, I've just picked a few things to post about that aren't the most important aspects of the event, but just what I feel like including here.  I figure, its my blog and I can do what I want with it.
  1. Michelle Obama as a fashion icon: A lot has been in the news about Michelle Obama emerging as a fashion icon, much like Jackie O.  I hope it was her intentions to be viewed this way as it opens her up to a lot of criticism on what she wears.  There were high expectations for her dress at yesterday's inauguration balls, and I think she choose wisely.  I love it that the gown she wore was created by a 26-year old designer.  The American youth was so critical to Obama's success that I think it is wonderful that she opened new doors for a relative unknown young talent. 
  2. Bush's daughters letters to the Obama girls: I think the letter the Bush twins wrote to Sasha and Malia was very nice.  Of course, the critics made lots of sarcastic comments on it, which were very funny (and I suggest you read for a good laugh), but I think most would agree that it was a nice gesture.  I hope they wrote it themselves.
  3. Reverend Lowery's benediction: In case you missed it, part of his finale included the phrases, "when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white can embrace what is right."  I guess when you are 87 years old and have more than 50 years experience as a civil rights leader, you can just say whatever you want.  
I missed most of the election coverage since I was working.  Someone at work mentioned she thought that inauguration day should be a national holiday and I second that.  I suggest that we trade in President's day for it.  (And I would still say this even if I actually got off work for President's day.)  As an added bonus, if I was able to watch inaugeration coverage during the day, that would free me up during the 8-9pm hour for American Idol.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was like reverend lowery just wanted to find what would rhyme with no attention to sense.

Anonymous said...

While I was like 'what the *** was that' with regards to reverend lowery some of the people I work with actually liked his speech - I am guessing simply because of the rap/rhyming aspect of it.

As far as Michelle Obama's dress - I guess I am in the minority as I did not like either dress she wore that day at all. It's great she chose a young designer but I didn't think the dresses were too flattering. Her kids on the other hand were adorable.

The letter from Bush's daughters to Obama's daughters was sweet. It did remind me of another article I recently read which gives a bit more incite into the daily life of our beloved ex-president.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/01/dubya-and-me200901?currentPage=1